About Doc Kennedy
Fear of failure cripples. It keeps you from taking action on the things you know can lead you to realizing your dreams and living up to your potential. Doc Kennedy let the fear paralyze him for a long time. But, after a volunteer position gave him the skills and the confidence he needed and his dream of becoming a filmmaker started to look like a reality, he decided to go all in! He transitioned into filmmaking full-time.
Starting out as a freelancer with little work lined up, Doc soon started to experience the more stressful side of being self-employed, living off of his “side fund” while building his business. He knew though, that if he hadn’t made the leap when he did, he wouldn’t have done it at all.
The timing wasn’t going to get any better than it was. – Doc Kennedy
Doc is now hitting his stride, after many lessons learned in his first year as an entrepreneur. He freely acknowledges the huge role his mentors played in his new career and has set up Filmmaker’s Focus now as a way to help the next wave of aspiring filmmakers!
There’s a lot to be said for just getting started. This is what differentiates the successful from those who just look on from the sidelines. The time will NEVER be just right. Get into motion and you’ll be surprised at what you can accomplish!
I’m nowhere close to where I envisioned myself, but thank God I’m not where I was. – Doc Kennedy
What You Will Learn
- How to push past the fear of failure and move towards your dream career.
- Doc’s advice for those getting ready to make a career transition. He shares what he did that worked AND what he wishes he’d done in preparing for his career change.
- The power of taking action
- The importance of building a financial “runway” to ease your transition to a new career.
- The role of mentors in your career development and the value in giving back and helping others in their career paths.
Relevant Links and Resources
Filmmaker’s Focus – “dedicated to the aspiring filmmaker”; resources and inspiration for growing your craft!
Dream Warriors podcast – “the fight for your dreams”; get inspired to pursue YOUR dreams with stories from people who’ve followed theirs!
HTYC’s Scott Barlow on the Dream Warriors podcast! – Scott shares his journey to starting Happen to Your Career
For more information on pushing past the fear of failure and getting into motion:
- The HTYC Mindset: Identify the Results You Want First!
- HTYC 049 The Magic of Motion with Ritchie Norton
- HTYC 054 Revolutionize Your Career with CK Bray
- HTYC 061 How to Approach Your Career Scientifically with Adarsh Pandit
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson
- HTYC 064 Passion Project to Dream Job with Mark McClung
For more information on the power of growing your network:
- HTYC 066 Accelerate Your Success Through Mentorship with Geoff Woods
- HTYC 057 Networking with Purpose with Mark Sieverkropp
For more information on starting a business on the side:
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson – THIS is the episode where we actually walk through the calculations for building your financial “runway”!
- HTYC 060 How to Start a Business on the Side
- HTYC 056 How to Choose a Business with Stephanie O’Brien
- HTYC 052 How to Hustle on the Side with Nick Loper
Also mentioned in the episode:
Get in touch with Doc!
What’s stopping YOU from pursuing your dream? How long will you let it continue to stop you?
Love the show?
Subscribe to the Happen to Your Career podcast:
We would LOVE it if you would leave us a review! Each review helps us to reach more folks like you and help them “Happen” to their careers!