Have you been thinking about starting your own business?
Are you ready to take the leap to quit your day job?
Starting a new business seems like a big, scary decision to make, but it doesn’t have to be.
Just ask Laura Roeder, who did just that. She quit her full-time job to branch out on her own.
Today’s show features Laura’s story of how she left her full-time job to chase her dream of working for herself, building her business, and doing exactly what she wanted to do with her career (without waiting the long 10-years that’s usually required to climb to the top of an organization).
In the podcast, Laura discusses some of her biggest takeaways from quitting her full-time job to starting and growing her business, and how she keeps herself and her business relevant in the ever-evolving digital world.
What You Will Learn
- How getting used to not only the idea of rejection, but also the actual getting rejected part of pitching your product or service to potential clients will help you thrive as an entrepreneur
- Being realistic about the work you do and understanding that what you put in today is exactly what is going to happen for you tomorrow, or a week from today, or even a month from today…but “you reap what you sow”
- The benefits of thinking about the worst case scenario when you decide to take the leap in starting your own business
- Why walking through the possibilities of what could “go wrong” and coming up with a back-up plan is always a great idea…
- Why you should silence the thoughts of comparison to other start-ups you hear about and go out and meet local business owners and get their advice because they know what it takes to start a business – not every start-up is a glitzy story
About Laura Roeder
Laura Roeder is the CEO and Founder of the social media software company, Meet Edgar – a social media automation and re-purposing tool for businesses.
Laura’s evolving career story starts out by graduating college and taking a job at an ad agency as a designer. Shortly after taking the job, she realized that she had so many more interests than just designing ads and wanted to be involved in the bigger strategy of marketing and branding, with the ability to continue designing.
She weighed her options of continuing at the ad agency as an account executive where she would have to put her 10-years in at the agency to do the work that she really wanted to do, or she could just start her own company and have the ability to do everything she wanted to do right away.
After her light bulb moment, she quit her job and went into business for herself and hasn’t looked back since!
Relevant Links and Resources
Follow Laura on Facebook
Connect with Laura on Linkedin
Follow Laura on Twitter: @
Get in touch with us!
Love the show?
Subscribe to the Happen to Your Career podcast:
Leave us a review and help us to reach more folks just like you and help them “Happen” to their careers!
Want help finding the work that fits YOU?
If you’re ready to take the leap and transition out of your current career but aren’t sure what your next career move is, check out our free 8-day course to “Figure Out What Fits.”