About Matt Williams
Love traveling? Want to find out how you can build a career around it? This is definitely the interview you don’t want to miss! Matt has co-founded Brain Gain, a “vehicle for undergraduates and graduates to find career relevant positions abroad in startups and social enterprises in emerging economies.”
Even if you haven’t been bitten by the travel bug, you’ll still get a lot out of this episode.
At each juncture in his career, Matt followed the path that most excited him. Early on, he admits it was more like leaping first, sorting out the details later. But, as he’s grown older, he’s been able to continue making the career moves that excite him, but with careful planning first. Matt shows us that if you want something badly enough, there’s ALWAYS a way to get there!
What You Will Learn
- No matter where you are, there are ALWAYS ways to move forward if you know where you want to go and are willing to sacrifice to get there.
- Find out how Matt was able to go from almost certainly becoming an HR professional in his home country to turning his travel bug into a successful international career.
- How making decisions based on how excited you are about your options can actually take you where you want to go!
Relevant Links and Resources
Brain Gain – helping place young professionals in positions in emerging economies
Don’t Quit Your Job to Travel, Quit it to Live – Matt’s article on traveling with a goal
The Choice – article by Matt’s Brain Gain co-founder, Troy Erstling on the choice between working or traveling or BOTH!
For more information on carving out a path that fits you, check out:
- The HTYC Mindset: Identify the Results You Want First!
- HTYC 049 The Magic of Motion with Ritchie Norton
- HTYC 054 Revolutionize Your Career with CK Bray
- HTYC 061 How to Approach Your Career Scientifically with Adarsh Pandit
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson
- HTYC 064 Passion Project to Dream Job with Mark McClung
- HTYC 069 It’s Now or Never with Doc Kennedy
- HTYC 071 Get Intentional, Get Results with Olivia Gamber
- HTYC 074 Fear Means “Go!” with Greg Faxon
- HTYC 088 Opportunities Are Where You Create Them with Greg Rollett
- HTYC 093 Practicing Incremental Bravery with Grant Baldwin
- HTYC 094 Stepping into the Right Roles with Michael Port
- HTYC 097 What Makes You Weird Can Make You Great with Danielle Watson
Also mentioned in the episode:
Dave’s ESL Cafe – the “Internet meeting place for ESL + EFL teachers + students from around the world”
Get in touch with Matt!
Do you have the travel bug? Where would you like to go? What would you like to do?
Get in touch with us!
Love the show?
Subscribe to the Happen to Your Career podcast:
Leave us a review and help us to reach more folks just like you and help them “Happen” to their careers!
Get the support, information, and encouragement you need to move to work you’ll love!
Want help finding the work that fits YOU?