About David Nihill
Public speaking is one of the top fears, if not the number one fear most people have. In more severe cases it can cause people to avoid situations that might help them move their careers forward. Best-selling author of Do You Talk Funny? 7 Comedy Habits to Become a Better (and Funnier) Public Speaker, David Nihill wants to help us all get over this fear and become better public speakers and storytellers. He was born in Dublin (and claims no one here in the U.S. understands his accent!). He earned a Masters in Business and began working with the Irish government to help startups. He’s been working with startups ever since, though now it’s through his FunnyBizz Conference series where he uses a comedic approach to help content creators leverage the power of storytelling, comedy, and improv!
David forced himself into public speaking when he was asked to emcee a comedy fundraiser for a friend. This was a guy, who by his own account, would turn into a “sweaty mess” and once in college, got drunk and swore like a sailor through a presentation!
He points to the “10,000 hour rule”, explored in-depth in Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers as an explanation for his now mastery of the art of comedy and public speaking. Practice is what it takes.
What You Will Learn:
- How to structure a winning presentation.
- Why ending your presentation on Q & A is NOT a good idea (though most of us still do it!) AND what to do instead!
- How to avoid the pitfalls most public speakers fall into when starting out.
- Strategies for pulling the best speaking material from your day-to-day life!
Relevant Links and Resources:
David’s links as mentioned in the episode:
For more information on creating your own story and taking action:
- The HTYC Mindset: Identify the Results You Want First!
- HTYC 049 The Magic of Motion with Ritchie Norton
- HTYC 054 Revolutionize Your Career with CK Bray
- HTYC 061 How to Approach Your Career Scientifically with Adarsh Pandit
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson
- HTYC 064 Passion Project to Dream Job with Mark McClung
- HTYC 069 It’s Now or Never with Doc Kennedy
- HTYC 071 Get Intentional, Get Results with Olivia Gamber
- HTYC 074 Fear Means “Go!” with Greg Faxon
Also mentioned in the episode:
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Get in touch with David!
Get in touch with us!
Love the show?
Subscribe to the Happen to Your Career podcast:
We would LOVE it if you would consider leaving us a review! Each review allows us to reach more folks just like you and help them “Happen” to their careers!
Get the support, information, and encouragement you need to move to work you’ll love!
Want help finding the work that fits YOU?